Bachelor of Technology also referred to as B.Tech. is a four-year course in engineering that covers a wide range of technological fields. Designed for people seeking careers in the core technology and development industry, this course provides a foundation for their technical skills. In the B.Tech program, theoretical as well as practical knowledge is taught. Additionally, students are provided with hands-on training in order to learn how to operate different types of software and hardware in their fields. Candidates with a B.Tech may also pursue jobs in data analytics, consultancy, information technology, and management, in addition to engineering. Graduates with good technical skills are also qualified for jobs in the government sector, including in Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs).
Name of Degree
|Bachelor of Technology|
Commonly Known As
Entrance test followed by counselling by the authorities.
|Should have completed 10+2 in PCM or PCB from a recognized institute/board|
Rs. 5 lakhs to Rs. 12 lakhs per annum
Top Institute offering Admission
|IITs, NITs, IIITs and GFTIs along with some private institutes such as VIT, BITS, MIT and more|
|Google, Apple, Hindustan Unilever Ltd, ISRO, Microsoft, Amazon, Flipkart, Intel, TATA Consultancy and more|
Types of Careers
|Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineer, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineer, Marine Engineer and more|
To be eligible for admission to a BTech program, one must meet the following requirements:
- For admission to a Btech program, you must complete a 10+2 or equivalent examination from an accredited educational board like CBSE, ICSE, etc.
- You must have at least 60% marks combined in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics
- The aggregate and qualifying marks of SC/ST students are relaxed by 5%.
- As a requirement for admission, scores of the JEE Mains and other equivalent entrance exams must be submitted.
B.Tech Entrance Exams
All technical programs, such as BTech, in India, fall under the regulatory purview of the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and the National Board of Accreditation (NBA). Entrance examinations for B.Tech programmes are conducted at the national/state/institutional levels. There are five main engineering entrance exams taken by a large number of students each year
- JEE Main- NTA conducts JEE Main, the entrance examination for BTech admissions to NITs, IIITs, and GFTIs. There are two papers in JEE Main - Paper 1 (BE/BTech) and Paper 2 (BArch/BPlan)
- JEE Advanced - BTech admissions into IITs are conducted through the JEE Advanced examination. Attempting JEE Advanced requires passing JEE Main.
- VITEEE - A top private institute entry exam, VITEEE offers admissions to its campuses' BTech courses.
- MHT CET - Students applying to state-run BTech colleges can apply through the MHT CET.
- TS EAMCET - Through TS EAMCET, students can apply for admission to state institutes based on their results in the entrance examination
Required Skills For B.Tech
- Knowledge of computers and information technology
- Ability to communicate - both verbally and in writing
- Familiarity with Industry standards
- Understanding of the core subjects
- Multi-disciplinary exposure
- Application of the knowledge
- Leadership Skills
- Critical and Creative Thinking
The engineering field is one of the best-paying professions in the world, especially in western countries, which is why many aspiring engineers in India dream about pursuing a career in this field. Taking engineering courses gives many students the opportunity to become highly paid professionals. Engineers are among the most sought-after jobs in India. Therefore, the competition for admission to the top engineering schools in India is fierce.
Candidates must apply, appear, and pass the Engineering entrance exams after appearing for 10+2 exams. By going onto the online application portals, students can upload documents such as academic certificates, identification cards, and proof of age. Following a successful Btech application, the applicants must remember to pay the fees for applications. In order to apply to various IITs, candidates must pass a main and advanced JEE examination. State entrance exams include MHT CET, WBJEE, OJEE, KCET, etc. Additionally, students may choose to apply to autonomous colleges for admissions, in which case they must pass university-level exams such as the MI Entrance Exam (Jamia Millia Islamia) or the MET (Manipal Institute).
- After the results of the entrance are released, aspirants desiring to get into IITs and NITs will need to take part in JoSAA (Joint Seat Allocation Authority). Counseling will be offered to those who want admission to other colleges after the results are released.
- During this round, based on the candidates' choices of colleges and courses, the counseling board allocates colleges and courses to students according to their merit lists and entrance scores.
- Aspirants are offered admission to the best colleges after the counseling process is completed successfully. Students who accept the admission offers are asked to make further payments for admission confirmations once they accept their offers.
- Students admitted to Bachelor of Technology programs are required to verify original documents after admission has been confirmed.
The B.Tech degree is offered across a wide range of specializations in India. The following are some of the more prominent ones
|Computer Science Engineering||Mechanical Engineering||Chemical Engineering|
|Aerospace Engineering||Civil Engineering||Electrical Engineering|
|Ceramic Engineering||Electronics and Communication Engineering||Marine Engineering|
|Metallurgical Engineering||Petroleum Engineering||Electronics and Electrical Engineering|
All of these specializations offer bright prospects for students to get into different careers, but computer science engineering is perhaps the most sought after. Furthermore, top engineering colleges such as the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) and National Institutes of Technology (NITs) have high cut scores from which to enrol their respective applicants in this course.
Popular Engineering Colleges in India are
- UPES Dehradun
- LPU Jalandhar
- Jain University, Bangalore
- KL University Guntur
- SRM University Chennai
- NIIT University, Neemrana
- GD Goenka University, Gurgaon
- GNA University, Phagwara
- Chandigarh University
- BML Munjal University, Gurgaon
Scope And Career Opportunities in B.Tech
A Bachelor of Technology is a widely accepted degree program. A B.Tech degree can lead to a plethora of opportunities because technological advancements are occurring in almost every field. Technical skills play a big part during job interviews for students with a Bachelor's degree. Each organization offers a different salary package. There are many recruiters who offer highly competitive salaries in core sectors, between Rs. 8 lakhs and Rs. 25 lakhs per annum. It is possible that some overseas firms will offer salary packages worth as much as Rs. 1 crore. Salaries may range from 3 lakhs to 12 lakhs per year in other sectors. The salary package also varies from college to college. As compared to graduates from other technical colleges, graduates from the top B.Tech colleges tend to earn better salaries.
The following are a few career options students with a B. Tech degree can pursue according to their chosen specializations:
Computer Science Engineer
- Computer science engineers are responsible for the development, testing, and evaluating of computer software. Games and software are often developed by them.
- Power-generating machines are the primary responsibility of mechanical engineers. In addition to electric generators and internal combustion engines, these machines can also be in the form of refrigerators and air conditioners.
- Civil engineers design, construct, maintain and operate infrastructure while keeping environmental and public health impacts in mind.
- Professionals involved in the development of automobiles, trucks, buses, motorcycles and other motor vehicles are known as automobile engineers. Automotive engineers are also responsible for designing products and altering existing models.
- An engineer in the marine industry designs, builds, tests, and restores vessels, boats, underwater vehicles, offshore platforms, and drilling equipment. Marine engineers are often in a position to work together with naval architects in order to design sea vessels of all shapes and sizes.
- Engineers who work with aircraft are called aerospace engineers. The primary responsibility is to design propulsion systems and aircraft. Aerospace engineers are also concerned with the aerodynamic performance of aircraft and construction materials.
Top Recruiters For B.Tech
- HCL Technologies
- IBM Global Services
- Infosys Technologies
- TATA Consultancy
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd
- Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What do you learn in B Tech?
Ans. It focuses on computers and technology in the field of IT (Information technology). A major difference between Computer Science Engineering and BTech is that BTech students study information theory and management. Students will be taught how to program and learn about the software computer.
2. What is B Tech full information?
Ans. An undergraduate degree in Bachelor of Technology (short for Bachelor of Technology) covers all the technical and conceptual knowledge of engineering disciplines. A Tech degree is a full-time four-year degree program that blends practical training with concepts.
3. What is important for b tech?
Ans. The Btech program is not for the faint of heart, as it requires some serious attention, knowledge, and guidance. Depending on the college, a student gets more serious and dedicated to the course
4. Which B Tech course is easy?
Ans. It is Computer Science that I find easiest of all branches in my B Tech program. In the sense that it is a part of our everyday lives, it's easy. You will find it more easy to study if you learn more about it and the more you explore, the more interesting it gets.
5. Which BTech course has highest salary?
Ans. Engineering branches with the highest salaries
Branch of engineering
Salary expected (per annum)
|Computer Science engineering||2.4 lakh to 10 lakhs|
|Mechanical engineering||1.8 lakhs to 5 lakhs|
|Civil engineering||3 lakhs to 5 lakhs|
|Electronic and Communication engineering||1.5 lakhs to 3.5 lakhs|
6. Which course is best in BTech for future?
A career in aerospace engineering.
Engineering in the chemical field.
Electronics and electrical engineering.
Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence.
- Biochemical Engineering
7. What is the scope of B Tech it?
Ans. An academic career is also an option for BTech IT students. Students who graduate with a BTech in IT usually pursue an M. You can either get your MBA or your Tech. BTech IT students are likely to find jobs as Software Developers, Testing Engineers, IT Coordinators, System Analysts, System Analysts, IT Technical Content Developers, etc.
8. Is BTech 1st Year important?
Ans. Having a good start is very important for an opening batsman to lead his team to victory. First-year CGPA gives you confidence and a boost for your second-year CGPA. The #1 ranking in your batch does not necessarily guarantee your success in the next semester unless you are building up your confidence.
9. Which btech course is hardest?
Ans. Most students consider electrical engineering as one of the toughest Engineering courses. This is due primarily to the abstract nature of the course.
10. What is the salary of B Tech Civil Engineer?
Ans. Civil engineers usually earn between Rs. 3.5 lakhs and Rs. 20 lakhs annually. However, there are also some private colleges that offer excellent salary packages to their students.
11. Is B Tech Civil Engineering good?
Ans. There are many types of jobs available for graduates in the field of Civil Engineering. Choosing the branch is a good idea if you are interested in the field. Additionally, you can search for Indian Civil Engineering Colleges.